Seven Settings I'd Like to See More


 Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by That Artsy Reader Girl. This week we're talking about settings we want to see more often. I always feel like this topic is a self-call out lol. I'm so sure there are lots of settings like the ones I'm about to mention, it's just that I'm unaware of the books or I just haven't read widely enough. Anyway, let's just get to it.

1. Mountains. I read Even the Darkest Stars around the time it came out, and I loved how involved the setting was with the story. The main characters are making treacherous climbs through harsh terrain, and I hadn't really seen anything like that before. I also would love to see some small mountain towns. I live in the Smoky Mountains in a very small town and I think it'd be a great setting for a YA contemporary. 

2. New York City. Almost in complete contrast with the previous point, I want to see NYC more often. Lots of books set in cities are usually made up cities in UF books. But I want some contemproary YA there, or some magical realism/fabulism. I'd even take some futuristic sci-fi, or even break my dystopian ban for that genre set in NYC. 

3. Space. Somehow almost all the sci-fi I read is more set on Earth or even on some other planet instead of in space ships. I want more space traveling in my life. I'm aware there are plenty of these and when I see them, they catch my eye. But like Ariel, I want more.

4. Non-US contemporary. Particularly not even about American characters. I want characters who live in countries that aren't the US. Or characters with dual citizenships. 

5. Islands. I love islands of all kinds! Shipwreck survival islands, contemporary vacation islands, fantasy floating islands, claustrophobic thriller islands. Give me all the islands you've got. I know you heard me say "give me a lot of islands" but I really do mean to give me all the islands you've got.

6. High fantasy cities. I LOVE me some high fantasy cities! I can only really name one and it's not by an author I even like lol. I'm used to small villages or like, never even leaving the palace. I want high fantasy port cities and hubs of culture. I know there are authors out there with this in them, let it out.

7. Snowy wintry settings. Especially historical or fantasy, though I'm not opposed to avalanches or blizzards in my contemporary either. I just love the aesthetic, the potential for forced cuddling for body heat, and just the simple magic that comes with the first snow of the season.

Can you recommend any titles with these settings?

1 comment

  1. I love wintry setting too! But mainly because it's just a perfect setting for magical retellings :D The only one I can think about that I already read is The Winternight trilogy by Katherine Arden. It set in Medieval Rus and filled with Russian folk creatures, the writing is very vivid that you can feel the freezing cold of the Russian wilderness, but also the opulence of the palace. It's just magical!

    Tasya // The Literary Huntress

    ReplyDelete