Five of Rosie's Favorite Reads


Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by That Artsy Reader Girl. This week's top is childhood favorites. I decided instead to share my daughter's current favorites. One of the many joys of becoming a parent is passing down my love of reading. Rosie can't get enough! She has stacks on stacks on stacks of books, flung far and wide around my house. We can spend hours reading, and it's seriously one of the best things in my life. I'm excited, too, to share this with Lachlan, though right now he's much more interested in chewing on his books than reading them.


Just Add Glitter by Angela DiTerlizzi and Samantha Cotterill
I don't know exactly what sparked Rosie's interest in this one--it could be the repetition or the rhyming or just how FUN this is to read. Either way, we've read it so many times she can basically recite it herself. She even knows which page the normal pacing of the narrative stops and we have to shout, "oh no, stop!" It's freaking adorable.
Feminist Baby by Loryn Brantz
This one is a family favorite. And it's actually part of a three-book series, now! When I saw it in the bookstore, I knew I had to bring it home, and I'm so happy I did. The art is bold and simple and the colors are pretty and bright. I obviously love the ideals this series teaches, and Rosie loves the naked butts. 
Little Boo by Stephen Wunderli and Tim Zeltner
Years ago, before Rosie was even conceived, I saw the publisher tweet about this book and I knew I had to have it if I ever had children. This, I think, is Rosie's absolute favorite. The story itself is a lot of fun to read, with the tiny seed chasing after its neighbors in the garden, shouting, "BOO!" It goes through the four seasons, covers lots of nature and weather, and of course, Halloween! It was meant to be a seasonal read, but Rosie keeps it out year round.
Goodnight Moon by Margaret Wise Brown and Clement Hurd
A classic, I think. We all read this growing up, right? The ritual of saying goodnight to our surroundings has left the book and bled into our bedtime routine. Rosie and I both find comfort in this little story, and we love saying goodnight to her bedroom, the mountain we live on, the animals and plants outside, and finally to each other. I love this book so, so much and we have multiple copies throughout the house. I can't wait to get Lachlan in on the fun.
Peekity Boo What You Can Do! by Heidi Bee Roemer and Michael Wohnoutka
My friend Gaby sent this to us and I'm so thankful! It's another bedtime story, this one incorporating dinner, bath time, and the before-sleep rituals. Its rhyming scheme and rhythm keep Rosie engaged and she absolutely loves the illustrations. Whenever I ask her to pick out a book to read, she runs right for this one first. Personally, I find it absolutely adorable. 
What books do you want to share with the children in your life?

1 comment