Mid-Year Book Freakout


I've done this tag every year since it came out. I love it. It's not quite the middle of the year yet, but I am halfway through my reading challenge so I thought now would be a good time. Plus this is just a really fun post to make. 

First, some stats. I've read 28 out of 50 books toward my challenge so far. That's 7,300 pages, and 700 minutes of audio listening. I've reread 2 books so far this year and currently reading my 3rd reread.

questions

1. What has been the best book of the year so far?


Easily. I love everything about this series, honestly, and The Wicked King just upped the ante in all the best ways. Jude is a new all-time favorite heroine and Cardan is a new all-time favorite.. love interest? Antagonist? Both? Who knows! Give me The Queen of Nothing right now please.

2. What has been the best sequel you've read this year?


After experiencing a bit of a disappointment with Beneath the Sugar Sky, I was a little bit wary going into this one. But WOW did I love it. It brought back all the beautiful feelings of Every Heart a Doorway. How Seanan is able to perfectly capture feelings of longing and homesickness, all in just 150 pages or so. This was incredible and heartbreaking and poignant and I loved it so so much.
3. What are some new releases you want to get to soon?

Okay, so, I am notoriously bad at getting to new books in a timely manner. Either I read things well before they come out, or like four years later. There's no in between lol. Some 2019 releases that come to mind are These Witches Don't Burn, Finale, We Hunt the Flame, The Candle and the Flame, Wicked Saints, and Nocturna.

4. What books are you most anticipating in the second half of 2019?

SO. MANY.
Don't even speak to me until I've read this, okay?

I'm also pumped for Technically You Started It, The Merciful Crow, The Guinevere Deception, Gideon the Ninth, and Ninth House. 

5. What book has been the biggest disappointment for you this year?


I thought this was going to be charming and helpful like the blog was to me but it fell flat in pretty much every way. This book spent way more time telling you who it was for than it did giving any sort of cleaning tips. It droned on and on about how cleaning sucks and life is busy but we gotta do it anyway, and then that was it. It was frustrating and not even funny.

6. What book was the biggest surprise?

Not really a book so much as an entire genre. I was never one for romance books before. I don't have anything against them but I am much more of a fantasy reader who enjoys a romance as the subplot. I need romance in books! But I just never really read contemporary romance. But I've read a few this year so far and I've been having so much fun. You'd think with my own love life woes that I'd stay away but I'm actually really enthusiastic about trying even more.
7. Who is your newest favorite author?

I haven't read any authors more than once this year except Holly Black, who I've been a fan of for almost 20 years yikes. Anyway, there are some authors I'm excited to read more from: Christina Lauren, Rachel Hawkins, and Lily Anderson being chief among them. 
8. Who is your newest fictional crush?


Cardan. And Jude too if I'm being honest. 
9. Who is your newest favorite character?


I know I'm about thirty years late to this series, but listen. It's long. I'm tired. But I finally read book one (and am reading book 2 right now) so I can finally say I am a fan of Dany. I stan. 
10. Has any book made you cry this year?


This book yes is a contemporary romance but it is not at all light and fluffy. It deals a lot in grief, specifically with the main characters' loss of her parents. She grows up without her mother, and her mother left a sort of guide/list of rules for her father to follow. I sobbed so many times when Macy would talk about her mom. As the mother of a daughter my chest aches thinking of Rosie having to deal with the things Macy does.
11. What book made you happiest this year?



This may seem like a strange choice, given that this book is mostly about exploring grief, but hear me out. You know that feeling when you're reading exactly the kind of book you're in the mood for, exactly the kind of book you love? I had that feeling when I read this book. It was just so good and so perfectly what I like in my books, that I thoroughly enjoyed the reading experience. It made me happy.

12. What is the best adaptation you watched this year?

I watched The Hate U Give on Valentine's Day as a way to get me away from any romantic anything, and that movie was amazing! It was such a loyal adaptation as well as being its own thing. It was entertaining and engaging and just, so so good.
 

13. What is the most physically beautiful book you bought this year?


 Technically this was a trade not a purchase, but it's SO STUNNING. The blue-sprayed pages are an extra nice touch too. I love it.

14. What are some books you need to read by the end of the year?

I have an extensive list that will most certainly not get done in time. But here are a few: I want to reread the Scarlet trilogy by A.C. Gaughen, reread the His Fair Assassin books so I can get to Courting Darkness. Winter, Stars Above, Finale, Lady Smoke, Wicked Saints, Bright We Burn, Sorcery of Thorns, Aftercare Instructions, Somewhere Only We Know. Whew, wish me luck!


What's the best book you read this year?

No comments