May Wrap-Up and June TBR



So this month was an emotional roller coaster for me, with everything getting drowned out by grief at the end of the month. I don't want to talk about it now, so we're just gonna get right to the bookishness.

What I Read

A Study in Charlotte by Brittany Cavallaro 🌟🌟🌟.5
So much fun! This was my plane read while traveling this month and it was a great way to escape the woes of three hour layovers lol. A good mystery that was fun to solve with two main characters I deeply care about. I wish I had started this series sooner for sure.

Prince Charming by Rachel Hawkins 🌟🌟🌟
Another vacation read. I couldn't connect my kindle to the resort's wifi for some reason, and this was the only book I had downloaded aside from A Clash of Kings which is decidedly not beach reading lol. But I'm so glad! I had a blast reading this. It wasn't perfect by any means but it was transportive and entertaining.

Dear Ijeawele, or a Feminist Manifesto in Fifteen Suggestions by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie 
🌟🌟🌟
I've been wanting to read this author for a while and this short essay seemed like a good introduction to her writing. I did think it was a bit introductory and basic, and a little narrow in the heteronormativity of it all, but a quick refresher for feminism never hurt anybody.


Wilder Girls by Rory Power 🌟🌟🌟🌟.5
Damn near perfection. This was everything I wanted it to be and more. Lord of the Flies meets boarding school meets GAY AS HECK meets monsters! It was so good. It had a survivalist guide, a patient zero zombie flick vibe. I wanted to sink into it and never come out. Very gory though!


Reading Quirks by The Wild Detectives 🌟🌟.5
A cute, quick graphic novel. Will likely appeal to a huge amount of people if publicity gives it the right push. I didn't love it but I found it to be relatable a lot of the time. The art was just a tiny bit confusing though.

The Dispatcher by John Scalzi 🌟🌟🌟🌟
This was free on Audible for memebers so I snatched it up because no matter what the book's about, Zachary Quinto reading to you is sure to be a good time. I wasn't expecting anything and ended up greatly enjoying this. The change to our world is so small and yet it has huge ramifications, which gave me a lot of food for thought. I could honestly read a 20 novella series of these two characters solving crimes in this world, it was that good. 

 

TBR

I'm in a major reading slump currently. I was doing really well considering my life honestly, but it all came screeching to a grinding halt. I really hope to pull myself out of it with a few highly anticipated releases that I've been looking forward to for months.


The Kingdom by Jess Rothenberg 
This is my current read and I am obsessed. It's so good! I love mysteries and I love fantasy and sci-fi, so when you blend a mystery with SFF I am yours!

Sorcery of Thorns by Margaret Rogerson
I'm a little bit wary of this one beacuse sexy fae and Charlie Bowater illustrations just ring all my SJM alarms, but I'm going to give a try anyway since I'll have three copies by the end of the month, not including my eARC lol. I've never read a book about a Great Library type of setting so that does excite me. Plus the cover is just beautiful.

The Right Swipe by Alisha Rai
I've been trying to get more into romance these days because I just need some feel good reading with guaranteed happy endings. I love this cover and I'm excited about the inclusion of modern technology and online dating. I hope I love it.

We Hunt the Flame by Hafsah Faizal
I'm just like everyone else on this planet when I say I've been dying for this. And I've had the arc forever but haven't read it! Now's the time since I have a beautiful, stunning finished copy in my hands. I need some palce to escape and this sounds like exactly that.
What was the best book you read in May? What are you excited about for June?

3 comments

  1. I hope June is a better month for you. (((HUGS)))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorcery of Thorns doesn't have any fae! Rogerson's debut novel did, but in my opinion, she did them way better than SJM ever does. And I liked Sorcery of Thorns even more, so I hope you do too. ^.^

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm super excited to read The Kingdom and We Hunt the Flame too, they sound fantastic!

    I'm so sorry to hear what happened, I can't imagine how you feel. I hope June will be a better month for you *hugs*

    ReplyDelete